Oncology Team-Based Care
Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) have been and continue to be an integral part of oncology care and a vital component of a successful oncology care team for all types of practice settings.
ASCO is your partner in your practice support & management needs. ASCO provides information on why effective teams are crucial, and how to best implement them, along with case studies and research on basic principles of establishing an oncology care team.
Understand why oncology care teams with APPs are effective by:
- Reviewing Cancer Care Team Effectiveness
- Understanding the various roles of APPs and the collaboration between healthcare providers via ASCO Education’s Cancer Care Team Roles course.
- Read about why and how APPs can improve practice efficiency, overall productivity, and patient & clinician satisfaction in ASCO’s Educational Books Oncology Advanced Practitioners Bring Advanced Community Oncology Care, Collaborating With Advanced Practice Providers: Impact and Opportunity, and Collaborative Practice in an Era of Multidisciplinary Care.
- ASCO Education’s course Team Care: Productivity versus Value will also describe more how productivity & value of a team can be measured.
- Learn about the complex factors (i.e. practice models and workforce changes) that contribute to cancer care delivery through ASCO Education’s Interprofessional Oncology Practice course.
Learn how to implement effective teams at your practice with models and practical strategies, and how clinicians can work well as a team by:
- Reviewing ASCO’s Educational Book and past Education Session presented at ASCO’s Annual Meeting Practice Model for Advanced Practice Providers in Oncology as well as Efficient and Effective Models for Integrating Advanced Practice Professionals into Oncology Practice.
- Consider the goals of team-based care and learn more about four models of teams with ASCO Education’s Team-Based Practice Models course.
- Establishing clear and distinct roles for all clinicians and fostering a strong relationship between supervising physicians and APPs is also key in creating and maintaining effective teams. ASCO’s Educational Book The Advanced Practice Professionals' Perspective: Keys to a Good Working Relationship between Advanced Practice Professions and Physicians provides some additional insight into establishing those strong relationships.
Explore evidence, research, and studies surrounding teams in cancer care delivery from ASCO’s and NCI’s Cancer Care Delivery Workshop:
Onboarding and Orientation
Whether an advanced practice provider (APP) is new to the oncology specialty or is bringing years of oncology experience, providing comprehensive training, mentorship, onboarding, and orientation for new APPs is crucial to their individual success as well as the success of the oncology care team.
- The ASCO Clinical Practice Committee’s APP Task Force developed the APP Onboarding Resource as a guide to assist practices in the onboarding process of new oncology advanced practice providers.
- Learn more about hiring and onboarding APPs from ASCO expert volunteers by listening to the recording or reviewing the slides that were shared during a past ASCO Practice Leadership Webinar: Advanced Practice Providers – Hiring, Orientation, Onboarding
- Read about how one institution successfully developed and integrated a comprehensive, competency-based orientation and mentorship program for all new APPs: Development and implementation of a competency-based orientation program for advanced practice providers at an academic cancer center.