Coding Tip of the Month: May 2023
Specificity in diagnosis is crucial in the documentation and reporting of oncology diseases. One area of frequent confusion is the indication of primary versus metastatic cancer. For a primary cause of cancer caused by a neoplasm, the diagnosis would be reported with a code belonging to the range of C01-76 in Chapter 2 Neoplasms of the ICD-10-CM manual. If the cancer has spread to a secondary site, it should be documented and reported with a code found in the range of C77-79. Documentation should specify where both primary and secondary sites of neoplasm are located (unless they are unknown).
Important Updates to Evaluation and Management Services in 2023
The American Medical Association has released the new guidelines for Evaluation and Management (E/M) services which will go into effect on January 1, 2023. The guidelines have been updated to bring all the services in line with the 2021 Evaluation and Management changes to office and outpatient E/M CPT codes. More information regarding CMS’ take on the 2023 E/M changes can be found in the 2023 MPFS (Medicare Physician Fee Schedule) Proposed Rule. See ASCO’s summary.
Check this page frequently for more updates and resources.
- Important Updates to Evaluation and Management Services in 2023
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Selecting a Code Based on Time
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Medical Decision-Making Simplified
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Inpatient, Observation, and Discharge
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Consultations
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Guideline Updates, Clarifications, and Corrections
- UPDATED - 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Prolonged Services
- 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes: Practice Tips
- ASCO’s Guide to 2023 Evaluation and Management Changes
Coding and Reimbursement Updates
- 2023 HCPCS Update - 2nd Quarter
- April 2023 ICD-10-CM Update
- 2023 HCPCS Update – 1st Quarter
- 2023 Coding Updates
- 2023 CPT Update
- 2023 ICD-10-CM updates
- 2022 Coding Updates
- UPDATED - Coding Tip of the Month Archive
- Care Management Services
- Split/Shared E/M Services
- Coding and Reporting Social Determinants of Health
- UPDATED- Advance Care Planning
- NEW - Drug Waste Modifiers
Evaluation & Management Services Changes
2021 Office and Outpatient Evaluation & Management Services Changes
- ASCO’s Guide to 2021 Evaluation & Management Changes (Updated)
- 2021 E/M Changes Updates and Clarifications
- Webinar: Prolonged Evaluation and Management Services
- Changes to Evaluation and Management Codes in 2021
- 2021 Evaluation and Management Changes: Selecting a Code Based on Time
- 2021 Evaluation and Management Changes: New Prolonged Services Code
- Selecting an E/M Code Based on Medical Decision Making in 2021
Coding & Reimbursement Questions?
ASCO members can submit inquiries related to coding, reimbursement, or coverage via email. ASCO staff will respond to your question in a timely manner.